©2019 by Kaja Toczyska

Finding right leads easier and faster - prospecting process redesign

GROWBOTS

Growbots is an all-in-one outbound sales platform with automatic lead generation and personalized email campaigns that help to drive revenue through direct email, phone, and social media channels. I was a part of the team that took part in redesigning the whole platform from scratch.


In this project, I would like to present one of the bigger design challenges I was responsible for - redesigning lead generating process.

 

ABOUT THE PROJECT

Generating the right leads is essential for creating high-quality campaigns. It affects open rate and number of replies from the prospects since people don't like to get emails that are not valuable for them. Only by contacting people who fit the target group perfectly, a company can drive substantial revenue from outbound marketing.

The previous form for picking the right company and people criteria was considered hard to read by the users. The challenge of the project was to make it even longer, as we were planning to increase the number of possible filters. But with the greater length should also come better readability.


My main challenges were:

  • Redesign the current form of the prospect criteria by significantly increasing the number of fields and increasing its usability

 
Growbots process_edited.png
 

QUALITATIVE DATA ANALYSIS

To better understand the problems that Growbots clients are having with prospect generating, I analyzed customer feedback on Intercom and watched users recordings. Based on that I was able to prepare an overview of common usability problems related to using targeting criteria.

Customer feedbackGB.png
 
Dataanalysis.png

QUANTITATIVE DATA ANALYSIS

Understanding which filters were used most often would help me later prioritize target criteria and prepare better information architecture. For that, I analyzed Mixpanel and BigQuery data which clearly showed most popular filters picked by our users when creating a new outbound campaign.

 

USABILITY TESTING RESULTS

I conducted 6 usability tests on people who have never used Growbots application before. During tests, I could discover new insights from people who were using targeting criteria for the first time.


Some common usability problems discovered through testing:

  • The current division of campaigns into types (persona-based, export and import) was not clear to the participants of the test. Some of them had a problem with indicating what different campaigns are and what they should pick.

  • People had many problems using the industry filter. They did not understand why choosing an option in one category would mark it in another. They did not know how to select all the options in a given category, and they clicked every checkbox one by one (e.g. 10 of them) instead of selecting the entire category with one click.

  • People didn't know at all that they could exclude items from the filters as it required knowing a special command (typing minus sign before an item).

ResearchQuote.png
 

BENCHMARKING

External consistency is very important for every product as users are used to specific patterns within industries. Reusing common patterns is also crucial for products that are used to perform everyday work, since their use may depend on the efficiency of performing certain tasks.
To understand common patterns for outbound marketing industry, I've analyzed the competitors' tools.

 

PROTOTYPING AND TESTING

 

CATEGORIZING FILTERS

The number of filters to be displayed on the targeting screen increased from 7 to 18. It made it harder than ever to find the right filter, so I arranged them into logical categories, which were later verified in the card sorting and usability tests. 
Every category could be easily collapsed or expanded, and the icon next to its name indicated whether any filter inside the category was used.

 

EXCLUSION FILTERS

Usability tests, as well as the analysis of quantitative data, clearly showed that users do not know that options within filters can be excluded. To fix that, I proposed to create separate filters for excluding.

 

CHANGES IN THE INDUSTRY FILTER

Problems with using industries filter were visible on the user recordings and during usability testing. The logic and interaction of this filter were not clear to people, so it had to be changed. By introducing minor changes in the design - adding an "All" label inside the category, removing checkboxes from the categories - we were able to completely eliminate usability problems.

 

USABILITY TESTING

I carried out 2 rounds of usability tests - after prototyping and UI design phases. Tests pointed to some areas for slight improvement, e.g. people did not understand at all the Department Headcount filter, so we decided to simplify it.

All in all the tests showed a significant improvement in the efficiency of the use of filters and a better understanding of them. People found it easier to navigate the form and there were no significant usability problems as before.

 

SUMMARY

Takeaways

Designing long and time-consuming forms is never easy, so during the project I had to put emphasis on usability tests. Based on them I can say that I managed to significantly improve the usability of the targeting criteria while increasing the number of fields. 

Thanks to cooperation with a talented UI Designer, we managed to create clear information architecture that also looks better than most forms found in the B2B products.